Human Resources Starts With a Job Description
Learn how existing business owners go about the hiring process, from the initial budget to the job description, job ad wording, hiring process and finally the on-boarding process to induct new stuff members into the business.
Explore HR hiring tasks with several members of our academic board because when human resources management is done right in a small business at the hiring stage it saves a lot of headache down the track and ensures that your business runs smoothly and efficiently.
Job ad submissions and shortlisting
Short-listing job applicants is one of the most time consuming tasks in the HR hiring process so many of the large job boards have built tools to help you navigate the shortlisting process, including the automatic sending of emails to applicants who don’t make the shortlist.
A significant challenge for the HR manager is to manage the correspondence back and forth between each candidate as well as verifying information on the resume or CV.
A very important step in the hiring process is to understand how well the new employee would work with your existing team. It’s called culture and involves some deeper “getting to know you techniques”.
On-boarding and Training
The process you take a new staff member through reflects the way you manage all other aspects of your business so it’s important to get this step right, particularly as your business gets larger.
New employee induction courses & regular ongoing training courses help produce a healthy and organised team that are all on the same page.
Award wages and conditions are important for employees and affect their lives and livelihood and because they relate to ATO compliance and superannuation payments you must get all the information correct.
Using modern accounting software like Xero, MYOB AccountRight and MYOB Essentials (Cloud) and Quickbook Online can assist you in this process because the procedures are built into the software.
Performance Management and Reporting
Most training programs are ongoing these days and part of the daily, weekly and monthly reporting should include aspects of human resources management, including per person accountability and processes for re-training staff who stray from goals and rewarding staff who perform above expectation.
NEED HR Advice
Get HR and Employment Advice from our experts
Get the Payroll Administration training you need for your staff in online training courses in MYOB, Xero and QuickBooks Online.
- Save Time and Money: Do your Rostering, time sheets, payroll and staff communication all in one placeYou are about to learn how rostering, punch clocks, time sheets, leave requests and staff communication can all be streamlined in a way that drastically reduces costs and boosts staff morale. […]
- Running Teams And Rostering Made Easy With DeputyManage Your Workforce Minus The Paperwork Pain Effortlessly roster and manage staff, and bring precision to payroll with Deputy Payroll administration, rostering, and ensuring efficient and effective communication with your team […]
- QuickBooks Online Payroll has the Key to easily setting up and paying your employee awards and wagesA big challenge for many small businesses is knowing which award to use for new employees. Modern awards are complex, and keeping track of penalty rates and loadings can be a […]
- How employers manage the huge demand from jobseeker applicationsIt’s hard enough for employers to filter all the job applications they receive after placing a job ad in normal times but now with so many people looking to change careers […]
- Single Touch Payroll for Small Business (Xero, MYOB & QuickBooks Online)The ATO has been talking about Single Touch Payroll for many years already and they’ve made it mandatory for large businesses already. Now it’s time for small businesses to be compliant. […]